"Plasma" is a term from physics . It is called the 4th state of matter. These are:
- Solids: Matter bound in crystals. Eg. ice.
- Liquid: Molecules move freely between each other. However, there are molecular bonds between the molecules. Eg. water.
- Gas: Molecules move freely between each other. There is no molecular bonds between the molecules. Eg. water vapor, air.
Plasma: The substance is completely degraded. Even the atoms in the molecules are separated so their particles - electrons and protons are now free. Plasma is a splendid conductor of electricity.
Plasma is normally associated with very high temperatures and pressures. However, "cold plasma" occur:
- Saint Elmos fire: A light phenomenon, over light poles and other pointed objects during a thunderstorm.
- Neon tubes: The gas in the neon tube is plasma at room temperature.